We have received a safety alert issued on EyeCee One intraocular lenses.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has issued a patient safety alert after becoming aware of cases of increased intraocular pressure in people recently implanted with the following IOLs only:
- EyeCee One preloaded
- EyeCee One Crystal preloaded.
A Field Safety Notice (FSN) has been disseminated by Nidek (Distributed by Bausch & Lomb UK Ltd) and should be followed.
This alert has been issued following consultation with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, The College of Optometrists and the National Clinical Director for Eye Care.
What should primary eye care do?
At this stage primary eye care providers should:
- read this MHRA notification and the NPSA
- advise anxious patients that plans are being put in place to review everyone who received the IOLs in question
- direct people who are concerned to their cataract clinic and reassure those not affected by this product
- record any advice given on the record card
- continue to see patients as you would normally – for example if somebody reports a concern, you can see them early and refer appropriately
- keep up to date with sector news, as this is an evolving situation. We will share latest developments with you in the coming weeks.
Link for further information: https://www.college-optometrists.org/news/2023/january/patient-safety-alert-eyecee-one-intraocular-lenses